Friday, November 22, 2013

Genetics! (2 Classes)

Yay! Genetics! For this class we started learning about Mendelian genetics. In the last unit, we read something about how Mendel used pea plants to examine genetics. In this class, we learned how to find genotype and phenotype ratios using a Punnett Square. In other words, we were taught the necessary steps for solving genetics problems. We also practiced some of those problems in class, and then took a quiz on it, which I got a 3 on. I think that means I should retake it, and that I need to practice a few more problems.

The next class consisted was focused entirely on genetic problems. We went over the steps again and did some more problems. Quick even showed us two different ways of finding the phenotype and genotype ratios; the Fitz way and the Quick way. Someone tried explaining to me how to the Fitz way but I just could not grasp it. Especially since this person was basically doing all of the problems in their head. So when it came to take a quiz, I used the Quick way. It took me a little longer than the rest of my class...actually it too me a lot longer than everyone else, but it doesn't matter because i got a 1! So I understand how to solve the problems, it just takes me a really long time to do them. Maybe if I keep practicing, I can get better and faster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment